Six Ways To Make Sure Your Holidays Don’t Suck
Do you find yourself starting to get annoyed with the holidays right around Thanksgiving? Is your stress gaining momentum with no end in sight now on through New Year’s? Here’s six ways to break the cycle …
1. Do something fun you used to do as a kid. Think about when you WERE happy during the holidays and recreate it. Maybe it was ice-skating as a kid or watching a favorite holiday movie….or even arts and crafts. There’s something nostalgic and sweet about construction paper and Elmer’s glue. Just don’t get stuck in the past.
2. Do something selfish. You deserve “you-time” during the holidays, just like the rest of the year. So take a nap, or schedule a massage or some spa treatments. Don’t waste time on guilt, just call and schedule the appointment. Even doing something as simple as having your groceries DELIVERED instead of having to schlep to the store can help. Do it!
3. Go outside. It’s probably cold out, but that’s actually great for your health. Keeping warm exerts energy, and you need fresh air when you’ve been stuck in malls.
4. Volunteer. Helping other people is actually a great way for YOU to feel better. But don’t force it by doing something you hate. Volunteer to do something you love.
5. Honor people who’ve passed. You can get depressed during the holidays if you think about someone you’ve lost. So honor them by making their favorite food, their favorite drink, doing the things they loved, and ENJOYING it. They’d want you to. And that includes PETS. First Christmas without your sweet pet? Celebrate them and hang their stocking or donate to the local doggy park in their honor. It’s healing.
6. Forgive your family. They may be annoying, or worse, but they probably love you. So do yourself a favor and let go of any anger and resentment. My mom told me, “Christine…resentment is like taking poison and expecting the OTHER person to become ill…the truth is it only makes YOU sick.”