Dominick The MAFIA Donkey?
I was checking out Buzzfeed and they had a cool story on surprising facts about Christmas songs. Now I HAD heard that the guy who sings “You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” (Thurl Ravenscroft) was also the voice of Tony the Tiger… but I had NO IDEA that silly song, “Dominick the Donkey” has possible ties to the Mafia!!! Rumor has it the original studio recording was paid for by the Gambino crime family. Yikes!
Here are a few more surprising Christmas song facts:
1. Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” was used as a coded message during the Vietnam War. It was played over AFN in April of 1975 letting U.S. troops know that Saigon had fallen.
2. “Do You Hear What I Hear” was originally written as a call for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
3. “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” was meant to be a marketing ploy. Saks 5th Avenue commissioned it in the 50’s to sell greeting cards. Well, isn’t that just the spirit of the holiday?! LOL
4. “Jingle Bells” was supposed to be a Thanksgiving song! I can’t even imagine it as a turkey day song instead of a Christmas day song.
5. “Silver Bells” was titled “Tinkle Bells” at first…but thankfully, a wife of one of the writers told him what the word “tinkle” meant! He quickly changed “Tinkle” to “Silver”. Phew!
If you really wanna torture yourself… here’s a video of that famous Christmas Donkey… who we now know was a Goodfella! Enjoy!!!!