Live on Letterman: Jennifer Hudson Year-by-Year Since ‘American Idol’ (page 5)
June 8, 2011 5:13 PM
- In January 2008, Hudson goes back into the studio again to work on her début album.
- That May, Hudson appears as Louise in the Sex and the City movie–which includes some new tracks from the artist.
- A month later, in June, Hudson’s first official original single called “Spotlight” is released and reaches #24 on the Billboard Top 100.
- On September 15th, Hudson becomes engaged to David Otunga, who was at that time known as Punk from I Love New York.
- Fifteen days later, on September 30th, Hudson’s self-titled début is released.
- On October 17th, The Secret Life of Bees was released into theatres. Also starring [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Queen Latifah[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Alicia Keys[/lastfm], and [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Dakota Fanning[/lastfm], Hudson was nominated for her role by the Black Reel Awards but lost to Queen Latifah.
- On October 24th, Hudson’s 57-year-old mother, Darnell Donnerson, and 29-year-old brother, Jason Hudson, were found murdered by gunshot in her mother’s home. Hudson’s 7-year-old nephew, Julian King, from her sister Julia, was also found murdered after he was declared missing. Julia’s estranged husband and Julian’s father was indicted for the murders in December 2008.